Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Eko turns to politics for hometown

The Jakarta Post | Tue, 12/30/2008 7:33 AM | People

EKO PATRIO: (JP)EKO PATRIO: (JP)

JAKARTA: Comedian Eko Patrio says his New Year resolution is to turn his dream of becoming a representative for his hometown into a reality.

Eko has been nominated by the National Mandate Party (PAN) as a legislative candidate for an East Java constituency covering Nganjuk, Madiun, Mojokerto, Jombang.

“I want my dream to come true,” Eko told The Jakarta Post on Friday.

“I just want to do something for my hometown. Many people have tried to do many things for my hometown, but with no success. I’m optimistic that if I win, I’ll be more useful for my hometown.”

A recent survey by the Indonesia Survey Institute ranks Eko as more popular than established politicians such as Tifatul Sembiring of the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), Ferry Mursyidan Baldan of the Golkar Party, Anas Urbaningrum of the Democratic Party and Pramono Anung of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P).

The 38-year-old comedian, born in Kurung Lor, Nganjuk, came in second only to Agung Laksono, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, in the survey.

Eko said his tight year-end schedule had left him with only a day to celebrate the holidays with his family. — JP/Matheos V. Messakh

No comments: